Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year... Second Chances.. Grace Abounds!

The New Year always brings great optimism in me.  

I love the time of the year when the gym is flooded with ambitious new members on work-out kicks, people trying to quit smoking, swearing, or drinking diet coke.  I LOVE fresh starts and do-overs and underdogs.  

Whenever I watch a sports game, I always cheer for the team that is behind.  I love come-backs.  I love the messy stories.  I love the runts of the litter, the B team, the screw-ups.  I think it's because God is a God of redemption, of second chances, of unlikely candidates for leadership positions, royal appointment, marriages, and prophetic roles.  As I read the Bible, I find it's not a hall of fame of good looking, popular people that probably never had to make New Year's Resolutions because they already had their act together.  

I wonder if Rahab made some resolutions each year about changing occupations, David could have made a resolution about spending less time on the roof, Peter could have made resolutions about swearing and not cutting anyone's ears off, Paul could have made resolutions about not watching people's coats anymore, and Solomon could have resolved to add less wives this year...

So when I make goals... I like to think that I am in good company... of those who need second chances.  I belong to the fellowship of the slow learners, the second chance needers, and the grace addicts.  I love redemption.  I love God's grace.  I love that God is not finished with any of us yet.  I love this beautiful mess.  

So here's to the new year!

Lamentations 3:21-23 

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this. Love YOU! I am attempting some 30-day challenges in 2014 (inspired by you!) to keep a continually renewed desire to start fresh and make good changes. I haven't made it back to Weight Watchers yet, but maybe this week ;) Thanks for always sharing your heart!